Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Strolling within Kan-irag


Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time...

-Steven Wright


After a short hiatus due to a change in my work shift, I need not press myself to explore... My feet were itching for a walk.

And so for the first day of December, with some of my friends, I paid Kan-irag Nature Park a visit. This park offers a one kilometer walk through a forested area.



The cemented trail is well covered by trees young and old. The ground is overlaid by grasses and fallen leaves.



We started early: dew drops are still evident as can be seen in the fruits of a hagimit tree (Ficus minahassae).



No, I did not classify the tree on my own. Scattered along the trail are useful information on the flora and fauna of the area. Most trees have labels - local name and scientific name.

Furthermore, the droplet on this taro leaf is not coincidental. It was purposely put on to check if the taro will hold it.



For tired feet, several stops are being offered. Cozy cogon huts like this one below bid shade and rest. Comfort rooms with sufficient water are also strategically placed along the trail.



Even though the leaves of this plant could well serve as a fan for the perspiring trekker, respect for the flora is strongly encouraged.



We passed along a lily pond and some hedges of birds of paradise, with several in bloom. With the dappled lighting, some rays chose to fall selectively on a bloom for each kind, and I am grateful to the Divine for allowing me to capture them.





Towards the end of the trail lays a wooden watchtower that allows a view of the mountainous region.



We stayed on the watchtower for about an hour listening to low, soft music, savoring the cool kisses of the wind and remembering our younger days while being joyfully disturbed by the noises of the birds.

The sun was already high, casting warm hues, when we returned to where we started.



Kan-irag is not as "easily" picturesque as I have imagined it to be. One would need to really open one's eyes to the small wonders it offers. The comforting serenity of walking its trail has added tension between my want to take pictures and my want to stroll. Halfway through, the latter won: I strolled along actual paths and along memory lanes while occasionally taking pictures...
Note: I have known of Kan-irag through a very prolific blogger. He has literally been to almost all of the "nooks and crannies" in Cebu, and still continues to discover new ones. Although I have taken less photos in Kan-irag, those photos would have been enough to provide you, dear reader, of the different sceneries along its one kilometer trail. Also, I could have detailed out the location of this park. However, I chose to post a different set of pictures and withhold additional details in honor of this proud son of Cebu.

See and let him tell you more of Kan-irag through this link.

4 comments:

  1. do you have a contact number for reservations??

    ReplyDelete
  2. its a nice place, refreshing to both mind and body...hope i can go there but i dont know where is itlocated and i dont know how to go there from city...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have contact number of the place? can i have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry but Kan-irag has no contact number... :)

    ReplyDelete