Monday, May 31, 2010

Finding Bonbon

I have been a frequent visitor to Samboan - a town 140 km away from Cebu City and in the southernmost tip of the island of Cebu. The town is usually a stopover in the many bus tours that I do to liven up dreary weekends.

Samboan has a pristine coastline though I find it inferior to the coastlines of the neighboring towns of Alegria and Moalboal. The town is very laid back, quaint and peaceful. In my last visit, I decided to explore one of its many waterfalls - the Bonbon Falls, also known as Triple Drop Falls.

After asking for directions, I was led to a small path beside the highway...



The path led through a coconut plantation...



More coconuts still....



And then there were still coconuts...



After exiting the coconut roof, the path cut through bushes...



It was a long walk with the bushes...



Then, there was a clearing with an abandoned hut...



And it was back to the bushes, with a cow blocking the path...



It allowed me to pass under one condition - a single pose... :)



The path opened to a small clearing, but it seemed to led into a forest...



I crossed a small stream. After this stream, the path actually divided. And I made a wrong turn. It was spooky when I noticed that the path actually led to a house with many dogs. I was again forced to ask for directions.



I now made the right turn...



Another stream-crossing...



Getting deeper into the forest...



Again, I had to "wade" through this small stream...



And back to following the well-worn path...



And back to wading...



And a small waterfall revealed itself... I thought this was it, but the stairs on the right implied more...



Climbing through...



A small pool and more stairs...



The water was very cool and inviting...



And the bigger pool...



And finally, the Bonbon Falls... I now understood why they also called it Triple Drop Falls.



I stayed for an hour in the place and just enjoyed the sound of falling water and its cool rush in my feet. I also had my lunch - water and cold burger...

It was an eerie walk, being alone under the trees and the coconuts, to and fro... But the hour I spent in the waterfall was well worth it...

24 comments:

  1. wow, you are so brave Mark, trekking alone, but the view is all worth the trek. love your waterfall shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pictures mark. i like the solitude and being able to commune with nature in silence. this is one of those (daghan jud diay :-)) i miss in cebu - places that are still virtually in unison with nature and being able to enjoy it as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. isog ba! ikaw lang gale isa? hehe.. nice sang falls. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love all the pics mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marky, you're so sagad mangita subjects for photography.. and so isog magsulong mag-isa. :-) Hmmm.. daw ma-inspire ko maghimo short story about a human who lived in a nipa hut in a forest and was cursed by an evil fairy and turned into a cow... until a lonely photographer came to the rescue....and broke the spell? hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Miss Beth... I usually do my bus tours alone, for many years now... Just to occupy myself for an uneventful weekend. :) There are still a lot of pictures I haven't posted. This is a recent trek though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jayse... I also like the solitude. However, I found it quite eerie since I was doing this trek alone, with no human in sight, except for the old lady who owned the only house (with many dogs) inside the forest. Seemed like a setting for the stories of the Grimm brothers... hehehe...

    But finding the waterfall and relaxing for an hour made the eeriness very bearable...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nangisog na lang eh... hehehe... Huo kay spontaneous ni nga decision nga maglagaw... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Corey... :) And don't say I broke the spell by kissing the cow... That won't work... hehehe...

    But while doing the trek, I can't help but imagine the settings of the stories of the Grimm brothers... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. balik ta bai kanang ting-ulan para daghan agas nga tubig...

    ReplyDelete
  11. grabe ba. isahanon gid ya. kung ako to ya, ido + tigulang + nipa hut + isolated place = tudo dlagan puli. =)

    nice tama sang mga pics mark.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Val... Edited na sila tanan... Just playing with Photoshop, trying to achieve the "Holga effect"... :)
    Daw mabalik man ko gani, pero ato naman ko to, sayang nga indi ko pagdayunon... Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  13. while walking with you, napa-pause ako at tumawa with this line: It allowed me to pass under one condition – a single pose. First time mo magpunta ng bonbon falls? if yes, medyo nakakatakot kasi hindi siya open ground para sa akin. hehehe. am sure hindi mo naisip dahil pagkakita mo pa lang ng falls siguro nasabi mo ito na siya. and all the pagod ay nawala.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha! Yeah, I didn't say, because daw indi angayan that you'd kiss the cow. Hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pwede ra sad... Murag nindot sad maligo didto... Ug sugba sugba tingali... Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hehehe... I don't know what it is between me and cows... I am always approached by them... Perhaps they mistake me for their not-so-distant cousin, the carabao... Hahaha!

    I was about to back-out because I had gotten lost for a while. But I persisted and found out it was worth it...

    Thanks Red... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hala, carabao gid ya. sobra ka naman. Baka may gusto lang sasabihin yung cow sau. what if bigla na lang siya nagsalita. mag-isa ka pa naman. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow wow wow... idol na idol na talaga kita..

    kaw lang talaga mag isang gumagala parekoy? buti hindi ka napapagkamalang militante o kay abusayaff..

    ang sarap sa mata yung pics.. green na green.. :)

    infairness ang photogenic nung cow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha! If it did, luoy siya eh... Exhibit ang lagpak niya... May bayad ang entrance... :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahaha! Hindi mapagkakamalan kasi hindi masyadong uso ang militante o abu sayaff na mataba... :lol:

    Edited silang lahat sa Photoshop parekoy... Holga effect ang tawag diyan...

    Naaliw din ako dun sa baka, ang tagal umalis sa daanan...

    Salamat!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Priceless ang iyong trip sa Samboan...nature na nature talaga. Salamat muli sa pag-share ng mga magandang places ng Pinas.

    ReplyDelete